主要食材：小米 、 巴沙鱼肉。味道清淡、柔软、养身润胃。
What can I eat for breakfast during confinement period?
Breakfast replenishes the stores of energy and proteins in our body after it undergoes metabolism during sleep. However, due to the weakness of the mother's body after delivery, it is possible that she may experience a loss of appetite in the first few days after giving birth especially in the morning. Therefore, it is advisable that mothers choose something light, diverse and digestible as confinement breakfast. Try to avoid greasy food as much as possible, so that their appetite will not be reduced further.
In fact, confinement can be divided into three stages, same goes to the confinement dishes.
Stage 1: First week after delivery (1-7 days)
In the first stage, the main purpose is to expel water and swellings, as well as discharge the lochia. In the first week after delivery, you should not rush to nourish, you should instead focus on keeping yourself warm, always keep yourself hydrated and get enough rest. Thus, in this stage, try taking light, appetizing and digestible food. It is recommended to eat food like millet porridge, red date water, fried rice tea, red bean and barley porridge, etc.
Stage 2: Second week after delivery (8-14 days)
The second stage focuses on reducing back pain and recovering. This week, you should eat more food with high nutritional value, such as sesame oil pork kidney, Du Zhong tonic soup, brown sugar water, etc. Animal innards contain varieties of vitamins, which can help to regulate qi and blood as well as reduce discomfort such as back pain. In addition, it is the best time to promote breast milk at this stage. Mothers are advised to consume more protein to boost milk supply.
Stage 3: The third and fourth weeks after delivery (15-30 days)
The third stage is to strengthen the body and restore vitality and mothers can now start consuming some tonic food to nourish the body. By having sufficient nutrients through food, mothers will notice the improvement on their skin and beauty. The most common dishes for this stage are sesame oil chicken, red beans, Shou Wu soup, Cordyceps tonic soup, etc. However, do not forget to balance out your diet by eating more fresh fruits and vegetables to prevent constipation and to boost vitamin intakes.
What are the common confinement breakfast choices?
It is advisable for mothers to have light a breakfast, and more importantly, have something balanced and digestible. Some appropriate breakfast items include millet porridge with egg, millet porridge with pumpkin, vegetable buns, hard boiled eggs, stir-fried vegetables, sweet potato ginger soup, lean meat with vegetable porridge, millet porridge with fish, mixed grain steamed buns, corn, millet porridge with red dates, chicken soup, buckwheat bread, etc.
Confinement is crucial for mothers’ body to have a speedy recovery after childbirth as it helps with postpartum repair and recovery. It must not be neglected. However, during the confinement period, it is always important to have a well-balanced diet with appropriate nutrients from different sources in order to nourish the body, regain strength, boost quality milk supply as well as to prevent osteoporosis. Remember, all of these are closely related to the diet for confinement! Click on Phoenix Signature Kitchen now to have an idea of a well-balanced and nutritious diet for your confinement!
Confinement breakfast recipes:
- Millet porridge with egg - Main ingredients: eggs and millet. Millet porridge with egg can nourish the body, and it can also benefit the qi and help the body recover.
- Millet porridge with pumpkin - Main ingredients: pumpkin and millet. This dish has the function of nourishing Yin, detoxifying and helping gastrointestinal motility.
- Sweet potato ginger soup - the main ingredients: ginger, sweet potato, red dates. Ginger is warm, it has the effect of dispelling dampness, dispersing cold as well as warming the spleen and stomach. Sweet potatoes are effective in improving the bowels movement.
- Millet porridge with red dates - main ingredients: millet, red dates, gojiberry. It has the effect of regulating the qi and blood as well as strengthening the spleen and stomach.
- Lean meat vegetable porridge - main ingredients: carrot, celery, cucumber, lean meat, mushroom tips, sesame oil, cooking wine, ginger. This porridge not only replenish multivitamins but also help with protein intakes, which can nourish blood and stomach, nourish Yin and moisten dryness.
- Millet porridge with fish- main ingredients: millet, fish. The dish is light, soft, nourishing and moisten the stomach.
- Chicken soup - main ingredients: chicken, red dates, gojiberry, ginger, onion. The nutritional value of chicken soup is very high. It can help to nourish the body, replenish vitality and strengthen the body.
- Red beans and barley porridge - the main ingredients: barley, red beans, red dates, longan meat. Can help dispel the dampness in the body.
- Egg roll with green onion - Main ingredients: egg, green onion, minced meat. Eggs are rich in nutrients, such as protein, fat, vitamins, etc.
- Eight Treasures porridge - Main ingredients: red beans, peanuts, lotus seeds, red dates, raisins, glutinous rice, black rice, pine nuts, rock sugar. It has the effect of strengthening the spleen and nourishing the stomach, weight loss, and benefiting qi and calming the mind.